Costco’s sales increased 7.8% from USD14.30 billion to USD15.42 billion for the five-week period ended January 6, 2019.
Comparable club sales (comps) increased 7.5% in U.S., 2.0% in Canada, and 2.8% in other international markets for a total company increase of 6.1%. Excluding the effects of gasoline price changes and foreign exchange, comps increased 7.1% in the U.S., 8.1% in Canada, and 5.7% in other international markets for a total company increase of 7.0%.
- Average transaction increased 0.5% year over year.
- Comp traffic frequency increased 5.6% globally and in the U.S.
- Cannibalization’s negative impact was approximately 0.5% in the U.S., 0.65% in Canada, 1.15% in other international markets, and 0.65% for the total company.
- eCommerce comp sales were up 13.6% for the period.
- The strongest-performing regions were the Midwest, San Diego, and the North West. Internationally, Spain, Mexico, and Japan saw the strongest results. Foreign currency changes impacted December comp sales negatively by 1.3% for the total company, 5.8% for Canada, and 3.5% for other international markets.
On a department basis, Costco reported the following comp results, excluding the effect of foreign exchange.
- Foods and sundries comps were positive mid-to-high-single-digits. The strongest-performing departments were candy, tobacco, and sundries.
- Hardlines comps were positive in the mid-single-digits. Toys, seasonal, sporting goods, and majors were the better-performing departments.
- Softlines comps were up mid-to-high-single-digits. Special order kiosks, apparel, and housewares were among the better performing departments.
- Fresh foods comps were up mid-to-high-single-digits with strong growth across meat and service deli.
- Ancillary exhibited the strongest performance in gasoline, food court, and optical. The average price per gallon of fuel remained unchanged at USD2.59.
As of January 9, 2018, Costco operated 768 clubs: 533 in the United States and Puerto Rico, 100 in Canada, 39 in Mexico, 28 in the United Kingdom, 26 in Japan, 15 in South Korea, 13 in Taiwan, 10 in Australia, two in Spain, one in Iceland, and one in France. Costco also operates eCommerce web sites in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, Mexico, South Korea, and Taiwan.
Source: Costco Investor Relations